Saturday, April 4, 2009

One Week

Dear Will,

Today you are one week old! This makes Mommy both happy and sad. I'm happy that you're healthy and growing (you were 8 pounds 3.5 ounces at the doctor yesterday!), but I'm sad that my time with you is already going way, way too fast. I can no longer count your age in days - you're now a whole week old! Your birth seems like it was forever ago, yet I can still remember the details so vividly. My favorite part was seeing you for the first time - seeing your perfect little nose, your adorable cleft chin, your long fingers and precious tiny feet. I love this stage with you, even though it means I'm up several times during the night nursing you and comforting you.

You make the most adorable faces! We say you have an "old man" forehead - it wrinkles up a thousand times when you frown. And you frown a lot! Anytime Mommy or Daddy does something that you're not too crazy about, you frown. You also have the most pathetic and adorable little pout. I'm going to have to be careful when you get older because I think that little pout could get me in a lot of trouble :) You are so snuggly right now too. I'm soaking up as much snuggle time with you now a I can. After I nurse you, you love to curl up on my chest and I'm content to let you lay there for as long as you like. Actually, I'm content to just be near you always. I can't believe how much my life has changed in the week that you've been here. I never could have imagined what it would be like with you here and I never, ever could have thought it would be so, so wonderful.

You got your first at-home bath last night, and boy, you were not a happy camper! Your Grandma and Daddy helped me bathe you while your Granddad took pictures. You screamed your head off and threw a huge fit. But once we were ready to start drying you off, you calmed right down! We swaddled you tight in a cozy warm blanket and you fell asleep right away. And you slept so well during the night - you let your Mommy and Daddy get three long stretches of sleep that were three hours each! We were glad to get the sleep and even more glad to see you get well rested too.

Whenever you get fussy, I put my face very close to yours and "shhhhush" you. It works 95% of the time. You nuzzle your little nose into my face and bury your face in my hair. This works when Daddy does it too. You love being close to us and you love being wrapped up in blankets. You also love your paci. You are definitely a paci guy! You know how to "hold" it into your mouth all by yourself too. When you're hungry and ready to eat, you usually start to scream your head off. But you know exactly what time it is when you get put down on a pillow next to Mommy. Just as you are about to latch on, you give one last little fuss - kind of an "ahh ahh" sound. It's like you're so relieved that you're getting to nurse again and it is so completely adorable!

Though I'm sad you're getting older, I love learning new things about you every day. I have such huge hopes and dreams for you, little boy. I pray that God will protect you and that he would lead you in a life that would glorify him. I want to see you grow up and learn all the Bible stories and learn to sing all the children's songs at church. I want to see you learn how to be submissive to God's will and how to listen to Him when he whispers to you. He has a purpose for your life and plans for you that are greater than your Daddy or I could ever imagine. I pray that you would always turn to God first - even before me or your Daddy.

I love you, Will. I love you so much it makes my heart ache.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: